I can provide editing of several kinds and become involved in your project to various degrees:
- line editing: suggestions for wording, tightening of style and corrections
- macro-editing: suggestions for reorganization, a change in style to communicate with intended audience, additions and deletions (after approval of changes by the writer, the next step would be line editing)
Editing jobs I have successfully completed for clients in the past include:
- proofreading for a monthly magazine
- rewriting and updating of a book for young adults for a publishing house
- line-editing of a dissertation on computer processors and line-editing of various academic articles in economics and political science
- macro-editing of an academic book on the teaching of guidance counseling
- macro-editing of biographies, an anthology of biographical essays, several novels, and several non-fiction books
- We will agree on an hourly rate of compensation. I will log time spent. I can edit online or you may mail me the hard copies.
- I am changing my process due to a few people not paying me their second installment. So I am using what some other editors do: I will edit a 10 page sample of your book at no cost. (For a page with 1 inch margins, 12 point Times New Roman font, and minimal spacing elements, a good rule of thumb is 250 words for a double spaced page.)
If you like what I have done, you can send me the whole book, and I'll bill you, normally $3.50/page or less unless I'm offering a significant rearrangement in which case it would be more. So if your book is 150 pages, it normally would be $475. I keep track of the hourly rate of $35/hr., so if it takes less time, I'll refund part of your payment.
Another option would be to pay $175 to have me edit just 50 pages.
* Modified 11/18/2019. - ARH
Typical fee structure (fees are dependent upon quantity and complexity of editing required):
- Proof-reading and line-editing: 1-32 pages: $35/hour
- 33+ pages: $35/hour (based on log of time spent) or $3.50/page
- Consultation, copy-editing, and ghost writing: TBA
- Method of payment:
- Cash, Check or money order prior to delivery of edited copy*. *Modified 11/18/2019 - ARH